Personal information about Thomas Morgan

Below is all the information we have about Thomas Morgan. As far as we know, the information is correct. However, if you find any errors or have additional information, certificates or pictures, please contact us so that we can update this page. Thank you.

Memorial Details

No memorial information available at this time.

Cemetery Accounts Record

The information below is derived from the Newbury Cemetery company Accounts ledgers.

Thomas Morgan
13 March 1852
Newbury Union
Consecrated Ground - Common Interment
Rev'd. H.T. White



Obituaries and Newspaper announcements

Thomas Morgan
Article source:    Berkshire Chronicle
Date of source:    13 March 1852
Copyright:    © Berkshire Chronicle




SUDDEN DEATH. –INQUEST. – On Wednesday last an inquest was held at the Newbury Workhouse before Mr J Bunny Esq., Coroner for the borough, touching on the death of Mr Thos Morgan aged 43 years, an inmate of the union, who died on the Monday previous. The deceased was formerly in the habit of sweeping the streets of Newbury, and consequently well known ; also some time since his father kept the White Horse Cellar public-house, and drove a stage coach, in this town.

The Coroner stated that since he had been in the room he had received a letter from the Vice-chairman of the Board of Guardians, which was read, stating that at a meeting of the Board of Guardians on Tuesday, the governor had reported the negligence of the surgeon to the union in this case and that the Coroner’s attention should be drawn to the circumstances ; but he hoped that the jury would not take any notice of what they had heard out of doors, or the contents of this letter, unless evidence was adduced before them to substantiate such a charge.

The first witness called was Henry Clark, the porter, who stated that on Monday afternoon, about three o’clock, as he was standing at the front door, the deceased came up to him and said that he was ill ; after a short time had elapsed, finding he did not get better, he took him into the day ward, where he fell down, immediately afterwards deceased threw up a quantity of phlegm, which witness described as green as grass ; witness then called two men, who took the deceased into the infirmary.

By a Juror. – The deceased had never before complained of any illness ; saw him half an hour previously wheeling a barrow of coal ; there appeared nothing the matter with him then ; he seemed quite well and equal to the task he as performing.

Geo. James, an inmate, having charge of a sick ward, stated that he knew the deceased, and was present at his death. On Monday, about three o’clock, he heard the deceased was ill, and found him vomiting very much in the day ward ; witness immediately acquainted the nurse, who directed the deceased to be taken into the infirmary ; witness undressed the deceased, washed his face, and put him to bed ; he brought up some yellow stuff and died in a few minutes after witness had laid him down, about half-an-hour from when he was taken to his death ; the deceased appeared to be sensible, and only said “let me lie down;” had known the deceased for years, and he generally enjoyed good health ; never heard him say that he was dissatisfied with his station or that he had been treated badly ; no medicine had been given to him in witness’s presence.

Mary Jones, nurse to the infirmary, corroborated the last witness’s testimony ; she also stated that she went and acquainted the governor  with the state of the deceased, and thought that he had better send for the doctor if he did not get better ; on her return she found the deceased much worse, and requested the governor immediately send for the doctor ; in a very short time after he was a corpse ; did not know much of the deceased’s habits, only that he was a hearty eater ; she had only known him in the sick ward with a bad toe.

By a Juror. – Never gave him any medicine in the shape of brandy, as the time was short.

Mr Sander Wilson, the governor, corroborated the last witness as to her requesting him to send for the doctor. He stated that he told the nurse she had better give deceased an emetic, : emarking at the same time that witness was rather surprised, as he had passed the deceased not half-an-hour previously wheeling a barrow ; on the nurse’s second application he immediately sent to Mr Robinson, the surgeon, whose duty it is to visit such cases ; witness thought deceased had been eating something that did not agree with him, and he went to the ward with the intention of giving him some brandy or medicine, but just as he arrived there the deceased expired. As the doctor did not come, witness sent Geo. James to inform him that the man was dead, urging him to attend ; witness told the domestics not to meddle with what the deceased had brought up, but let it stay until the doctor had seen it ; but he never came, nor had he seen him. Mr Robinson came on Tuesday morning, there was a meeting of the board, but witness did not see him ; he never enquired for witness ; witness wished Mr Robinson to attend to take the responsibility off their shoulders, as they were not aware of what complaint the man had died of ; witness reported the case to the guardians, whence a letter emanated from the vice-chairman ; it is the duty of the surgeon to attend on a message from the governor, matron, or porter ; witness had not received any communication from Mr Robinson relative to his non-attendance up to the present time.

By the Coroner. – The contents of the stomach was cleared away on Tuesday, but not until Mr Robinson had been and gone ; he did not believe that Mr Robinson had seen it ; not aware that Mr Robinson had any notice given him as to his examining the contents of the stomach ; he being a medical man he imagined he would have enquired about it.

Henry Harris and Geo, James proved that they were sent to Mr Robinson’s requiring his attendance by the governor.

Mary Jones, the nurse, was re-called, and stated that Mr Robinson came up in the infirmary ward on Tuesday morning, and made a remark that it was of no use to attend when the man was dead ; she did not inform Mr Robinson that the contents of the stomach had been left for his examination, as she thought it had been cleared away.

The Coroner then stated he considered the non-attendance or neglect of the surgeon was entirely out of their jurisdiction. It was quite clear he had not neglected the deceased in any way so as to cause his death, there being no time for him to do anything to help deceased, and so to the non-attendance after death, if he was amenable it was to the Board of Guardians, and not to them. But as there was no medical evidence before them, as to what had caused the death of the deceased, he thought it was proper, for the satisfaction of all parties, to have a post-mortem examination of the body, which the jury coincided in, and the inquest was adjourned to Friday evening for that purpose, when the result of that application will be given, but it occurs too late for this week’s publication.


This obituary entry is awaiting verification.
Thomas Morgan
Article source:    Berkshire Chronicle
Date of source:    20 March 1852
Copyright:    © Berkshire Chronicle




SUDDEN DEATH. –ADJOURNED  INQUEST. -  The inquest on Thomas Morgan, an inmate of the Newbury Union Workhosuse, adjourned from last Wednesday for a post-mortem examination of the body was resumed on Friday evening last, when Mr Robinson, surgeon to the union, attended, and said that on Monday last the governor of the union sent a message to his house that a man at the union was ill ; that he told his son to attend to it, as he had urgent business and it was impossible for him to attend ; his son was on the point starting, when his assistant came in and said that he had met G James from the union, who informed him that the man was dead, and he took no further notice of it, as his services could be of no avail. Mr Robinson then stated that he had made a post mortem examination of the body, and found nothing to excite suspicion that the deceased had met with his death in an unfair way ; his stomach and chest appeared to be healthy, and the only disease about him was an effusion of water on the brain, which ultimately would have caused his death, but not so sudden ; it was an extraordinary affair, and he could not account for it.

Under these circumstances the jury immediately returned a verdict of “Died by visitation of God.”

This obituary entry is awaiting verification.

Biographies & History

Related Links



*The FNRC believe that the certificates published on this page have been added in compliance with the rules laid down by the General Register Office (GRO).Click here for more information.
If you believe that we may have inadvertently breached the privacy of a living person by publishing any document, pleasecontact usso we can immediately remove the certificate and investigate further.
Thank you

Website designed and maintained by Paul Thompson on behalf of the Friends of Newtown Road Cemetery.

Administrator Login