Personal information about Elsie Jeffery Bell

Below is all the information we have about Elsie Jeffery Bell. As far as we know, the information is correct. However, if you find any errors or have additional information, certificates or pictures, please contact us so that we can update this page. Thank you.

Death Information

   Elsie Jeffery Bell
Maiden name:
Date of Death:
Age at death:
Date of birth:
(From death certificate)
Place of birth:
(From death certificate)
Place of death:
Usual address:
Cause of death:
Death certificate information
Registration year:
Registration quarter:
Registration district:
Register volume:
Register page/folio:
Link to Free BMD register page.
Information Sources: FreeBMD

Burial Information

Name on burial register:
   Elsie Jeffery Bell
Burial register image
Click image to enlarge
Age at death:
Date of burial:
   25 June 1913
Abode at death:
(according to burial register)
   Market Place, Newbury.
Burial register information:
Book number: 1899
Page number: 246
Record number: 9168
Official at burial:
   John Neville
Source of information:
  Burial Register
* This entry is awaiting verification.

Memorial Details

No memorial information available at this time.



Obituaries and Newspaper announcements

Elsie Jeffery Bell
Article source:    Newbury Weekly News and Mrs Pattison
Date of source:    26 June 1913
Copyright:    © Newbury Weekly News












Seldom has Newbury been more stirred and saddened than it was on learning of the fatality which occurred late on Friday night in Oxford-street, resulting in the tragic death of Miss Elsie Jeffery Bell, second daughter of Mr. Walter Henry Bell, architect of the Market Place.


The young lady had accepted the invitation of a friend, Mr. W.H.S. Applin, an engineer at the Eagle Ironworks, to accompany him on a trip to Marlborough. He was using a new motor-cycle, and Miss Bell occupied a seat on the carrier at the rear. They ran to Marlborough without a stop, and returned at once. They stopped only at Froxfield to light up, and were riding down Speen Hill into Newbury about ten o’clock. Coming in an opposite direction was a motor-car, driven by Mr. Painter, farmer of Peasemore, accompanied by two ladies. The motor-cyclist saw the car when it was near the “Chequers,” and being uncertain whether the course was towards Speen or Donnington, he took a sharp turn to the left, hoping to get over to his proper side of Oxford-street. The motorist was making towards Donnington, and unfortunately there was a collision, apparently not a violent impact, but sufficient to overturn the motor-cycle and dislodge its riders. Miss Bell was pitched to the pavement, striking her head and being rendered partially unconscious.


Help was speedily forthcoming, and Dr. Pearson, who lives close by, was immediately on the spot rendering whatever aid was considered necessary. Applin was much shaken, but beyond a less serious injury to the right leg, he had escaped. Miss Bell was in a more parlous plight. She was carried into a neighbouring house, and restoratives administered. She appeared to recover sufficiently to allow of removal to her home. Mr. Painter placed his car at disposal, and the young lady was seated therein, wrapped in rugs, and carefully tended by the other occupants. The doctor advised that the motorist should deliver a message to her parents that she should be put to bed in blankets, with hot-water bottles, and that their own medical man should be at once called in. However, she appeared to wonderfully revive on the journey, and on reaching the Market-place was able to leave the car unaided, go to the door, but thinking that she would be unable to enter that way, went round to the back. She said “Good-bye” several times, and appeared so well that Mr. Painter, thinking she had only temporarily suffered from a fainting fit, did not consider it necessary to deliver the message, or acquaint her parents of what had happened. Subsequent events proved that this was an unhappy omission. Mr. Bell was waiting for his daughter’s return, and his other daughter noticed her strange appearance. But she went straight to her bedroom, and said nothing of her perilous experiences. Applin called later, and Mr. Bell learned something of the accident, but not sufficient to arouse undue alarm. The mother sat with her daughter for several hours until she dozed off into what appeared sleep, but was really unconsciousness. The real facts were not ascertained until Saturday morning, when Mr. Bell interviewed Dr. Parsons, and learned from him the seriousness of the case. As requested, the doctor attended at once, but the condition was then very critical. Consultation later with Dr. Heywood, showed that an operation was neither justifiable nor desirable, and death took place on Sunday morning.


It is unspeakably sad that a young life should be so suddenly cut off just when a promising future was opening out for her. The deceased lady was particularly gifted as a linguist, had studied in Germany, and was contemplating a visit to France. As an amateur actress she had shown unusual talent, making a successful appearance early in the year in the C.I.B. room at Speenhamland in historic drama. She had considerable talent as a vocalist, and was of a bright, genial disposition. Her death under such tragic circumstances has caused great grief among a wide circle of friends. Widespread sympathy has been expressed with the bereaved parents.


There follows a lengthy verbatim report of the Coroner’s Inquest, with much questioning of the several witnesses trying to establish who did, and who said what.

The bottom line, however, is contained in Dr. G. L. Parson’s evidence when in reply to the question “….was there any possibility of saving the girl’s life?” he said “No, from the evidence of the post mortem I am certain she would have died.”


The Jury’s Verdict


The Jury retired, and after an absence of a quarter of an hour, returned, the Foreman handing a written verdict to the Coroner as follows:

“The jury found that the deceased met her death by accident. We think that the owner of the car committed an error of judgement in not delivering the doctor’s message.”

The Foreman said the jury would like to express their sincere sympathy with Mr. Bell in the loss he had sustained. Having lost a daughter himself, he realised how great it was.





The funeral of the late Miss Elsie Jeffery Bell, second daughter of Mr. Walter H. Bell of the Market Place, Newbury, took place on Wednesday afternoon at 2.30 at the Cemetery. The remains – in a polished coffin with solid brass handles, and name engraved “Elsie Jeffery Bell, died June 23rd, 1913, aged 23 years” were placed in the open Washington Car which was piled with a profusion of wreaths, harps, and other floral offerings of sympathy from numerous friends, with whom deceased had been very popular.

Elsie Jeffery Bell cont.


The mourners were Mr. Walter H. Bell (father), Mr. John Bell (uncle), Mr. Robert Bell (cousin), Mr. Applin and a very large gathering of friends and old school companions.


There follows a long list of mourners and donors of wreaths.


Newbury Weekly News 26 June 1913


Mrs P. p 170 P(D)8


See also Wilfred Leslie Bell


Elsie Jeffery Bell died 22 June 1913 aged 23

(see also Wilfred Leslie Bell died 9 July 1897 aged 13 months (missing years))

This obituary entry is awaiting verification.

Biographies & History

No documents available at this time.

Related Links



*The FNRC believe that the certificates published on this page have been added in compliance with the rules laid down by the General Register Office (GRO).Click here for more information.
If you believe that we may have inadvertently breached the privacy of a living person by publishing any document, pleasecontact usso we can immediately remove the certificate and investigate further.
Thank you

Website designed and maintained by Paul Thompson on behalf of the Friends of Newtown Road Cemetery.

Administrator Login