Personal information about Albert Edwin Stevens

Below is all the information we have about Albert Edwin Stevens. As far as we know, the information is correct. However, if you find any errors or have additional information, certificates or pictures, please contact us so that we can update this page. Thank you.

Burial Information

Name on burial register:
   Albert Edwin Stevens
Burial register image
Click image to enlarge
Age at death:
Date of burial:
   26 September 1916
Abode at death:
(according to burial register)
   Stanley Road,
Burial register information:
Book number: 1899
Page number: 292
Record number: 9532
Official at burial:
   A G P Baines
Source of information:
  Burial Register
* This entry is awaiting verification.

Memorial Details

  Albert E STEVENS
  22 September 1916
  4 kerbstones
  North facing kerb: In Loving memory of Albert E. Stevens died Sept.22nd. 1916 aged 62 years. Sleep on beloved.
  Inlaid letters. Poor, kerbs scattered
  15 June 2017
  D Duff
Click here for more information on this memorial.

Other people list on this memorial

There are no other people linked to this memorial



Obituaries and Newspaper announcements

Inquest Albert Edwin Stevens
Article source:    Reading Mercury
Date of source:    30 September 1916
Copyright:    © 



An inquest was held into the death of Albert and the following report appeared in Reading Mercury of 30 September 1916.


The dangers attendant on shunting work in connection with railway goods traffic were exemplified by an occurrence in the goods yard at Newbury on the afternoon of Thursday, the 14th inst., when the yard foreman in an endeavour to stop a moving truck, either slipped or was knocked down, and sustained injuries which resulted in his death at the hospital on Friday last week. The deceased’s name was Albert Edwyn Stevens, and he lived in Stanley Road. He was 54 years of age, and had been in the employ of the G.W.R. for 34 years, coming to Newbury from Oxford some 10 years ago.

An inquest took place on Monday afternoon at the Municipal Buildings, before Mr. Stanley V. Pinniger, the acting Borough Coroner, and a jury, of whom Mr. Harry Brown was foreman. The jury assembled at the hospital, to view the body, afterwards proceeding to the Municipal Buildings.

Mr. G. K. North the station master, was present: and Chief Inspector Pike and Locomotive Inspector John Webb from Paddington, also attended. Mr. J. Dobson, J.P., organiser of the National Union of Railwaymen, was present in the interests of the deceased, who was a member of that body.

Evidence of identification was given by Albert Wise, a carpenter and joiner, living at Earley Rise, Reading, who stated that the deceased was his brother-in-law, and 54 years of age.

Frederick George Manning, a goods guard in the service of the G.W.R. Company, living at Reading, stated that on the afternoon of Thursday, September 14th, at half-past three, they were commencing in the Newbury Yard. Deceased unhooked the tail portion of the goods train which witness had charge of, and told him to look out for his van. Witness did this, and then went into the van to put things straight for his departure, which would have been about ten minutes to four. When walking down by the train, he saw the deceased come through the wagons, which were stationary. The next siding was full up and somewhat obscured his view, so he could not see what actually happened, but he noticed the deceased roll under one of the wagons, the rear wheels pinching his right ankle. Witness went to his assistance, and after putting him in a safer place, told the driver of the engine not to move. The wagon which ran over the deceased had been detached from the train, and was running slowly down the siding. He was unable to say what caused deceased to fall. There was a slight fall in the gradient of the siding. Deceased came through from one side of the line to the other, with the idea of applying the brake, and probably stumbled, with the shunting pole in his hand.

In reply to Mr. Dobson, the witness said the line was so constructed in the goods yard that trucks might run away, and deceased was trying to prevent this happening.

Arthur James Collins, a goods porter at Newbury Station, stated that he was assisting in the yard at the time of the accident, when he saw a truck running on its own accord in No. 6 siding, and also saw the deceased between it and another truck, which was stationary. He also saw the deceased fall, with his shunting pole in his hand, the wheels of the truck passing over his right foot. He could not say what caused deceased to fall. The running truck collided with the stationary one.

Dr. E. G. B. Adams deposed that he saw the deceased soon after he was brought into the District Hospital. He had a wound on the cheek and mouth on the right side, and his right foot was crushed and lacerated, the bone of the big toe being badly smashed. Deceased never did well while in the hospital, although the face wound healed up. The foot became gangrenous but deceased was not in a condition to stand an amputation. Death was due to heart failure caused by septic absorption from the gangrenous foot. He expired between six and seven o’clock on the previous Friday evening. Deceased was conscious, but had a great difficulty in speaking owing to his damaged mouth. In reply to Mr. Dobson, witness said it was impossible to say what had caused the wound in the face.

The jury desired further information as to the nature of the incline in the sidings at the goods yard, the foreman saying they regarded it as a somewhat unwise proceeding for trucks to run down. Mr. North, the station manager, giving evidence, said that in each of the sidings there was a very slight gradient, the most pronounced being in No.6 siding, where the loose truck was. It was the duty of the deceased to brake any wagon if there was fear of its running out. He agreed that there was risk in any shunting work, which would probably be lessened if sidings were level.

Replying to Mr. Dobson, Mr. North said he was not an engineer, and was not prepared to say whether it would be better for the sidings to run in the opposite direction to which they now did. There were one or two sidings from which trucks would run out.

Chief Inspector Pike said that it was the invariable practice to make these sidings as near as dead level as possible, but there were some cases in which this could not be done.

After deliberating in private, the jury returned a verdict that death was accidental under the circumstances given in evidence by Dr. Adams. They added a suggestion to the railway company that the goods yard should be re-graded as far as possible, to make it safer for future working.

This obituary entry is awaiting verification.

Biographies & History

Related Links



*The FNRC believe that the certificates published on this page have been added in compliance with the rules laid down by the General Register Office (GRO).Click here for more information.
If you believe that we may have inadvertently breached the privacy of a living person by publishing any document, pleasecontact usso we can immediately remove the certificate and investigate further.
Thank you

Website designed and maintained by Paul Thompson on behalf of the Friends of Newtown Road Cemetery.

Administrator Login