Personal information about George Phillips

Below is all the information we have about George Phillips. As far as we know, the information is correct. However, if you find any errors or have additional information, certificates or pictures, please contact us so that we can update this page. Thank you.

Burial Information

Name on burial register:
   George Phillips
Burial register image
Click image to enlarge
Age at death:
Date of burial:
   12 March 1901
Abode at death:
(according to burial register)
Burial register information:
Book number: 1899
Page number: 027
Record number: 7409
Official at burial:
   George A Crawshay
Source of information:
  Burial Register
* This entry is awaiting verification.

Memorial Details

No memorial information available at this time.



Obituaries and Newspaper announcements

George Phillips
Article source:    Reading Mercury
Date of source:    16 March 1901
Copyright:    © Reading Mercury


On Saturday afternoon Mr. J. C. Pinniger held an inquest at an untenanted house on the site of the old Tan Works at Greenham, on the body of George Phillips, a labourer, 20 years of age, who met his death through the falling of the gable end of a shed in the yard mentioned on Friday afternoon, as briefly reported in the second edition the " Mercury last week. The jury (of whom Mr. George White was foreman) having viewed the body, and also inspected the scene of the catastrophe, the following evidence woe taken. 
The first witness called was George Phillips, labourer, living in Jack-street, who identified the body as that of his son, who had been engaged with his master, Mr. James Tillett, brickmaker, in pulling down some old buildings for Messrs. Hollands in the old Tan Yard near the Flour Mills. Deceased had been working at the place for three or four months. Witness first heard of his son's death on reaching home last (Friday) evening. 
Mr. Richard Hickman, surgeon, stated that on the previous evening he was called to see the body of the deceased, which had been dug out of the debris, and death had probably occurred hour previously. He found that nearly all the ribs on the right side were broken. The face was very much disfigured. At the back of the head there was a long scalp wound, and the scalp was detached from the skull. The bones of the skull were quite exposed, but not broken. Witness thought the real cause of death was suffocation, through the bricks having fallen on him.
Henry Corderoy, a young labourer, said that he was coming along the road near the swing-bridge over the Canal at five minutes past five on Friday afternoon when he heard cries for help three times. The cries were very feeble. He came back over the bridge, and down the canal bank, and got over the wall into the old Tan Yard, when he saw Tillett laid across small portion of the wall that was left. The bricks were over his legs, and Tillett asked him to remove them. Tillett did not say anything about Phillips. Witness went and called Mrs. Reed, who lived close by, and he then went on to his work, he had a mate to relieve. 
Mrs. Reed, wife of William Reed, labourer, living a cottage Greenham Mills, deposed that she was called by the last witness to render assistance, and she went at once to the spot where the wall had fallen, when she saw Tillett in a kneeling position, partly covered with bricks. Tillett said "Lend me a hand " and she replied "I will, as soon I can get to you." Tillett said "Where is the poor lad?" Witness asked him if he meant Phillips. Tillett answered "Yes; he's amongst the bricks." She went to Mr. Hollands for assistance, and he came at once. She saw deceased taken from under the bricks. A lot of men gave help after she had called Mr. Hollands. Deceased was completely covered with bricks, and when he was got out, it was found he was quite dead. The body was got out about half-an-hour after she called Mr. Hollands. 
Mr. Henry Hollands, who lives at Greenham Mill House stated that he was called about ten minutes past five on the previous afternoon by Mrs. Reed, who informed him of the fall of the wall, and that Tillett's leg had been broken. He went across at once with one of his men named Knight, and found several persons engaged in removing the bricks. Witness went to Tillett and ascertained the nature of his injuries, as far as he could tell him. With the aid of willing hands, the bricks were shifted as soon as possible. Witness could judge from what he saw that Phillips must have been killed, He therefore directed his attention the living man (Tillett), who was placed upon an old door and removed the Hospital. 
Mr. Alfred Hollands said that Tillett had been working for his brother and himself for long time, and had been engaged in taking down some old buildings. There was no reason for supposing that Tillet was otherwise than sober when the accident occurred. Witness saw Tillett about an hour previously, and cautioned him about the way in which he was doing the work, and Tillett was a little off-handed toward him. At the time of the gales, witness telephoned from his residence at Speenhamland to his brother at Greenham Mills to tell Tillett not to go on with the demolition of the walls. Tillett, however, told him that it was perfectly safe, and that the previous night's wind would have blown the wall down if it was not safe. Tillett had under-pinned the wall. Witness thought Tillett was doing the work carelessly, and therefore spoke to him, but Tillett replied " You leave to me. It is all right." The wind was blowing stiffly at that time. 
A juryman said he thought the jury might quite exonerate Messrs. Hollands, and the Coroner acquiesced this view. No further evidence being offered, the jury returned a verdict that Phillips was accidentally killed by the falling of wall which he was assisting Tillett to take down. 

George Phillips is shown on page 116 of Mrs. P as being buried in LN(E)2.
She also notes his father shares the same grave but (unlike the inquest report) gives his name as ALBERT THOMAS PHILLIPS. See:-
This obituary entry is awaiting verification.
George Phillips
Article source:    Newbury Weekly News
Date of source:    14 March 1901
Copyright:    © Newbury Weekly News


On Friday afternoon the townspeople of Newbury were saddened by the news that a serious accident had happened at Greenharn, involving loss of one man's life and the injury of another. Owing to some sheds at Greenham Old Tanyard becoming useless they have for the past three or four months been in course of demolition, which work was being carried out at the time in question.
Two men were engaged on the job, one named James Tillett, who was under a contract with Messrs. Hollands Brothers, the owners of the Mills, and a younger, George Phillips, who was engaged by Tillett. They were at work on the end wall of a shed running nearly east and west. The three walls had been removed until there was only the end one standing, or at least very little of the side walls left. Tillett, who was a master bricklayer and a thoroughly practical man, expressed the opinion that there was no danger. The wind was blowing very heavily at the time and about five o'clock the wall collapsed burying Phillips and breaking Tillett's leg. 
A lad happened to be passing at the time and he heard the cries for help. He went down by the side of the yard and then saw what was the matter. It did not take him long to get over the wall and get to Tillett whose leg was buried underneath the debris. The other poor fellow was unfortunately not to be seen, but a number of willing hands were soon on the spot trying to remove the mass of bricks which covered him. Not knowing where Phillips lay the work of extricating him took a considerable time, and then it was too late, for when they got him out it was only a lifeless body which they laid on the ground. 
An inquest was necessary, and this was held on Saturday afternoon at the house in the yard. Being outside the borough the coroner was Mr. J. C. Pinniger, and the foreman of the jury was Mr. George White. 
The first witness was Alfred Thomas Phillips, father of the deceased. He said he was a general labour living at Jack-street, and his son was also a general labourer, being twenty years of age. He worked at the Greenham Tanyard with James Tillett, who was a master bricklayer, and a man who thoroughly knew his business. He had been working there for the last three or four months pulling down the old buildings, but had never said anything about the work being dangerous.
Dr. Hickman gave evidence as to the injuries deceased had received. Death had taken place, and the body was being removed from the scene of the accident, as he arrived, but he ordered it to be brought back to the house. The ribs on the right side were nearly broken, and the face was knocked about, while a lot of blood and froth were oozing from the mouth. At the back of the head there was a long scalp wound six or seven inches in length, the scalp being detached from the skull, but the bones were not broken. The doctor gave it as his opinion that death was due to suffocation because be could not breathe. 
Henry Corderoy, a lad living in Mayor's-lane, said he was going along the road towards the Swing-bridge about five minutes past five. When he heard cries of “help, help," three times but very faint. He came back over the bridge, went through the gate and down the bank. Here he got over a wall and saw Tillett lying across another low wall with bricks on his legs. He asked the lad to remove these, and he did so and then went for Mrs. Read, who lived near, while he himself went on his way to relieve a mate. 
Elizabeth Read, wife of William Read, living at Greenhorn Mills, said she was called by the lad who said "Mrs. Read, will you lend me a hand?” Witness asked him what for and he replied "There's an old man with some bricks fell on him down in the tan yard." She went down and saw him in a kneeling position When she began to assist him he said “Where's my poor lad?" Witness replied “Whom do you mean, Phillips?" and he said “Yes, he’s amongst the bricks." She then went to Mr. Hollands for assistance, and he came. She saw deceased taken from under the bricks. There were several helping in the work of extricating the lad who was completely covered by the bricks. 
The foreman of the jury.—How long do you think ft was between the time you got there and the time he was taken out?—Over half-an-hour. 
Mr. Henry Hollands, who lives at the Mill House, deposed to being called about ten minutes past five by Mrs. Read, who informed him that the Tannery
wall had fallen and Tillett had broken his leg. He went down with his man Knight and found five men and women taking away the brickwork.  He went to Tillett and ascertained as far as he could the nature of the injury; it was a broken leg.  Seeing he could do no more to assist the willing hands already engaged in trying to extract the buried man he turned his attention to the living one, and with the help of another man he placed him on a door and removed him to the hospital.  The contract to do the work was made by his brother with Tillett.
Mr. Alfred Hollands, although he was not sworn, as he did not know anything about the accident, informed the jury that Tillett had worked for them for a considerable time, and had done lots of jobs at one time or another.   He was a very reliable man, and knew his work, and had expressed his opinion that he was carrying out the work in a proper manner.
After a short deliberation the jury returned the verdict of “accidentally killed by a wall falling upon him which he was employed to take down.”
The funeral took place on Tuesday afternoon at the Cemetery, and was witnessed by the largest number of friends for a very long time, the Cemetery being crowded.  The Rev. G.A. Crawshay, curate of St. Nicholas’ Church, officiated.   The Town Band, for whom the deceased was one of the collectors, was represented by Bandmaster Higgs, and they also sent a magnificent wreath.
Among the floral tributes, other than those of the family, were those from Messrs. Hollands, the Jack Hotel staff, his chums, the coachman at Goldwell under whom he had worked, and also one from the habitual followers of the Band.
The funeral arrangements were conducted by Mr. H.S. Hanington.
ALBERT THOMAS AND FANNY PHILLIPS wish to thank everyone of those who so kindly expressed their sympathy to them in their terrible loss.
- No. 1 Jack-street, Newbury.
NWN 14 March, 1901
This obituary entry is awaiting verification.

Biographies & History

No documents available at this time.

Related Links



*The FNRC believe that the certificates published on this page have been added in compliance with the rules laid down by the General Register Office (GRO).Click here for more information.
If you believe that we may have inadvertently breached the privacy of a living person by publishing any document, pleasecontact usso we can immediately remove the certificate and investigate further.
Thank you

Website designed and maintained by Paul Thompson on behalf of the Friends of Newtown Road Cemetery.

Administrator Login