Personal information about Samuel Sayer

Below is all the information we have about Samuel Sayer. As far as we know, the information is correct. However, if you find any errors or have additional information, certificates or pictures, please contact us so that we can update this page. Thank you.

Death Information

   Sayer Samuel
Death certificate for
Sayer Samuel
Click image to enlarge
Maiden name:
Date of Death:
Age at death:
Date of birth:
(From death certificate)
Place of birth:
(From death certificate)
Place of death:
Usual address:
Cause of death:
Death certificate information
Registration year:
Registration quarter:
Registration district:
Register volume:
Register page/folio:
Link to Free BMD register page.
Information Sources: FreeBMD
This death record requires verifying.

Burial Information

Name on burial register:
   Jame Sayer
Burial register image
Click image to enlarge
Age at death:
Date of burial:
   15 February 1884
Abode at death:
(according to burial register)
Burial register information:
Book number: 1868
Page number: 289
Record number: 4711
Official at burial:
   The Rev'd. Edward Gardiner, Rector.
   Forename is Samuel, but other records show James, but register is mis-spelt as "Jame"
Source of information:
  Burial Register

Memorial Details

No memorial information available at this time.



Obituaries and Newspaper announcements

Samuel Sayer
Article source:    Newbury Weekly News
Date of source:    14 February 1884
Copyright:    © Newbury Weekly News






A painful sensation was created in Newbury on Tuesday morning on it becoming known that Mr. Sayer, landlord of the “Black Boys” Inn, had committed suicide. Having been in the town only about two years the deceased was not widely known; but those to whom he was acquainted speak of him as being a specially genial and gentlemanly man. This deportment of manner obtained for him very much respect from visitors at the house, as well as others with whom he was brought into contact. Previous to his entering upon the “Black Boys” he kept, we believe, a public house at Whitley, near Reading, and prior to that Mr. Sayer was in a gentleman’s service, a circumstance which would probably account for much of his courteous bearing.  The inquiry concerning his death was conducted at the “Dolphin,” by H. Watson, Esq., M. D., J. P., borough coroner, and a jury which included the following:- Mr. John Gould (foreman), Messrs. E. Sellwood, W. Church, W. Knight, jun., G. Percy, R. Eatwell, E. Parfitt, J. Freebody, P. Mortimer, E. James, H. Higgs, D. Cox. The jury having viewed the body, which was lying at the “Black Boys” Hotel, the following evidence was taken.

Joseph James said – I am ostler at the “Black Boys” and the deceased is my uncle. Last night, about half-past eight, we went out together as far as the “George & Dragon”, Speenhamland, and got back about ten o’clock.  Deceased then went across to Mr. Benjamin Smith’s and returned shortly after eleven. When he came back his wife, Mrs. Charlton (his sister-in-law) and myself were playing at cards in the sitting room and he joined us. His wife and sister-in-law stayed for about an hour, when he told them they had better go to bed. He and I continued to play until about half-past one, when I wished him “Goodnight,” and went to bed. I heard and saw nothing more of him again until this morning at a little before nine. I then went into his room, on being asked by sister-in-law, and found deceased with his throat cut, lying on the carpet, covered in blood. His sister-in-law had been to call deceased, and finding that he was lying on the floor called his wife and myself.  I came out and told them what had happened, and went for a doctor. Dr. Ryott, not being up, I went to Mr. Birch, who came a few minutes afterwards. When Mr. Birch got there he sent me for Dr. Ryott. Deceased had been rather queer and depressed for the last three or four days. He seemed as if he did not know what he was saying. Yesterday he gave the female servant six months’ pay for five months service and gave her notice to leave. Deceased seemed all right when with me in the evening, but he appeared more depressed when he returned from Mr.Smith’s. Deceased was a man of perfectly sober habits. He told me he was worried but did not say what it was about, only saying that he had a lot to contend with. He never made any illusion about making away with himself. There is no case of insanity in the family. Deceased occupied a room by himself. Sometimes he slept with his wife,and sometimes by himself. He was quite sober when I left him at half-past one. The bed was disarranged, showing that he had slept in it, and deceased was in his nightshirt. The razor was lying on the dressing table covered with blood, but there was no sign that he had been shaving himself. A few words occurred between deceased and his wife during the early part of the day with reference to the servant going. But this had passed off, and there was no unpleasantness when they were playing at cards. Deceased was not quite dead when I found him but he did not appear to recognise me. Deceased was lying on his back about a quarter of a yard from the dressing table. The health of deceased had been very good and he had not had any medical advice for sometime.



Mr. Robert Birch said – this morning about nine o’clock I was sent for to go to the Black Boys. I went immediately and found deceased lying on the floor of his bedroom with his throat cut. Mr. Spencer, a neighbour, and the last witness were in the room at the time. There were several pools of blood on the floor near him, and his shirt and vest were soaked in blood. There was a gaping transverse incised wound in the throat, and 3½  inches in width. The larynx was open by two transverse wounds, one through the upper part of the cartilage and the other through the membrane immediately above it.  Several large blood vessels were divided. The pulse was imperceptible when I arrived, but afterwards could be but faintly felt. On the dressing table was an open razor covered with blood. On the garments near the dressing table were numerous spots of blood splashed in the direction from the front of the table. Deceased was sufficiently conscious to nod his head in answer to the questions I asked whether he did it himself, and whether he stood in front of the looking glass when he did it.  I sent for Dr. Ryott, and with his assistance deceased was placed on the bed. Soon after this a sharp hemorrhage took place. We secured two vessels and the bleeding ceased. Deceased was very restless throwing himself about on the bed. I stayed with him until he died at half-past ten. In my opinion the cause of death was hemorrhage from the wound in the throat. I should think from the double wound in the cartilage that the razor must have been used twice. The deceased and his family have been patients of ours since they came into the town about two years ago. He has not been attended since last March, when he was suffering from bronchitis. When I last conversed with him, which was in October, he was depressed about his wife’s health, with neither I nor Dr. Ryott had seen him since. The razor was open in the ordinary way, and deceased had not shaved that morning.

The Coroner instructed the jury as to the law of suicide, but the Foreman expressed a wish to see Mr. Smith before arriving at a verdict.

Mr. Benjamin Smith was sent for and on arrival said – I am acquainted with the deceased, and last night he was at my house about one hour, as he was in the habit of doing. He seemed in his usual health and spirits. I did not notice anything peculiar about him. His conversation was general and had no reference to any trouble. He has never at any time mentioned any trouble to me. He simply had a cigar, and had a chat with me and one or two friends. I have heard that he was in pecuniary difficulties. Mr. Parfitt, a juror, stated that about a month since deceased mentioned to him that his business was not prosperous and that he wished to get out of it. He then seemed in great trouble, very depressed, and cried bitterly.

The Jury then unanimously returned a verdict that deceased committed suicide whilst in an unsound state of mind, and decided to give their fees to the Navvy Hospital.

P. C. Gamble, in answer to the Coroner, said the deceased was 64 years of age.

SAYER – Feb. 12 at the ‘Black Boys’ Inn, Newbury, Samuel Sayer, aged 64 years.”

Newbury Weekly News 14 February 1884

Not in Mrs. P.       

 In burial register as “Jame” Sayer buried 15 February 1884 age 64. In account book as “James”.

This obituary entry is awaiting verification.

Pictures and photographs

Click to enlarge
Black Boys Hotel
This is the hotel as it originally looked. It was, at one time, run by Mr. Sayer.
Black Boys Hotel
Click to enlarge
Black Boys Hotel (Present Day)
The hotel has long gone, but the signage is still visible on the building today.
Black Boys Hotel (Present Day)


Biographies & History

No documents available at this time.

Related Links



*The FNRC believe that the certificates published on this page have been added in compliance with the rules laid down by the General Register Office (GRO).Click here for more information.
If you believe that we may have inadvertently breached the privacy of a living person by publishing any document, pleasecontact usso we can immediately remove the certificate and investigate further.
Thank you

Website designed and maintained by Paul Thompson on behalf of the Friends of Newtown Road Cemetery.

Administrator Login