Personal information about Thomas Randall

Below is all the information we have about Thomas Randall. As far as we know, the information is correct. However, if you find any errors or have additional information, certificates or pictures, please contact us so that we can update this page. Thank you.

Birth information

Name at birth:
   Thomas Randall
Click to enlarge
Birth certificate for Thomas Randall
Certificate provided by Liz Evans
Birth certificate for
Thomas Randall
Click image to enlarge
Date of birth:
   23 February 1874
Gender of Child:
Father's name:
   Thomas Randall
Mother's name:
   Ellen Randall (Formerly Stratton)
Place of birth:
   Woodspeen, East Speen
Parent's address at birth:
   Woodspeen, East Speen
Birth certificate information
Registration year:
Registration quarter:
Registration district:
Register volume:
Register page/folio:
Click here to link to Free BMD register page for this record
Information Sources: Birth Certificate, Free BMD  

Burial Information

Name on burial register:
   Thomas Randall
Burial register image
Click image to enlarge
Age at death:
Date of burial:
   18 September 1935
Abode at death:
(according to burial register)
   Beaconsfield Terrace, London Road, Newbury
Burial register information:
Book number: 1917
Page number: 190
Record number: 11116
Official at burial:
   W.G. Holloway
Source of information:
  Burial Register

Memorial Details

  Thomas RANDALL
  14 September 1935
  Headstone and 4 kerbs
  South kerbstone: In loving memory of Thomas Randall who died 14th September 1935 aged 61 years. North kerbstone: Also of Emily Louise Randall who passed away Dec. 6th 1944 aged 69. East kerbstone: "At Rest".
  Good, inlaid lettering on kerbstones only
  22 August 2012
Click here for more information on this memorial.

Other people list on this memorial

Emily Louise RANDALL



Obituaries and Newspaper announcements

Article source:    Newbury Weekly News
Date of source:    19 September 1935
Copyright:    © Newbury Weekly News




A shocking accident occurred in the London-road on Saturday night resulting in the death of one of Newbury's best-known men, Mr. Thomas Randall, who was knocked down by a motor-car near the White House public house.

Mr. Randall, who lived at” Zwanian,” London-road, had alighted from a bus and had almost reached the other side of the road when he was struck by the car. He was carried on the bonnet for twenty yards and then thrown off, being killed instantly. Mr. Randall was 61 years of age and had been in business in the town for a great many years as a wholesale butcher.

At the inquest held on Monday afternoon, the jury returned a verdict of “Accidental Death” and exonerated the driver of the car, Mr. John Alan Yeoman (25), an electrical engineer, of Hailstrow Court, near Bristol from blame.

Mr. Yeoman, who was driving home from London, said he did not see Mr. Randall, who was walking in a patch of darkness, which was accentuated by a strong floodlight outside the “White House.” He said he was positive his headlights were on, though an eye-witness stated he was equally certain they were not.

The jury added a rider to their verdict, calling attention to the black patch near the public house and suggesting that steps should be taken to eliminate it.

Mr. Yeoman was represented by Mr. H.D. Peacock, counsel, while Mr. J.T. Louch appeared for the relatives of the dead man.

Evidence of identification was given by a son, Mr. Harry Randall, a wholesale butcher, of 47, York-road, Newbury, who said his father's sight and hearing were good.

“A Careful man”
It was his father's custom on a Saturday night to return from the town by 'bus about the same time and get off at the same place.

Mr. Louch: Do you know of your own knowledge that he was a careful man?- Yes, he would stand on the kerb and wait until the road was clear before attempting to cross. He was most insistent on this.

Instantaneous death
Dr. Harold W. Lewis said that Mr. Randall's injuries included a compound fracture of the left leg, fractured ribs, a scalp wound, a fractured left cheek bone and a fractured base of the skull.

In reply to Mr. Louch the doctor said the injuries gave him the impression that Mr. Randall was struck straight down on to the road and not dragged along as the abrasions were not severe.

Mr. Peacock: Probably the more severe injury to the head was caused by impact on the road? - I should say undoubtedly.

'Bus-Conductor's evidence

William Alfred Haynes, 52 Kensington-road, Reading, a Thames Valley 'bus conductor, said Mr. Randall was known to him as a regular passenger on his 'bus. On Saturday night Mr. Randall boarded the 'bus at the Broadway and got off at the “White House.”

When the bus pulled away he was standing on the footpath.

Mr Peacock: How long did you watch him on the footpath? - As soon as I saw he was safe we moved off. Mr. Randall appeared to be in good health and there was nothing unusual in his manner. The bus stopped just on the Thatcham side of the “White House,”so that Mr. Randall had to walk back to the spot where he was struck down.

Carried 66 feet

P.S. Newman said that when he arrived the body was lying face downwards in a pool of blood outside the yard gates of the “White House” public House, with the head in the road and the legs on the footpath. From here, in the direction of Thatcham glass was scattered in the road for a distance of 66 feet. The impact appeared to have occurred 7ft 6in from the kerb outside the “White House.” Fifteen feet from the kerb on the Thatcham side there was a brake mark 3ft 10ins in length and 8ft from the kerb. The distance from the body to a street lamp and 30 m.p.h. sign on the Newbury side was 57ft.

Car Driver's Statement
Witness later saw the driver of the car, John Alan Yeoman, of Hailstrow Court, near Bristol, who, after being cautioned, made the following statement: “I was driving from London to Bath. When I got to the “White House” Hotel the first thing I knew was a hit. I had my headlights full on, but I had seen nothing. After the hit I ran on for a few yards and then stopped. I ran back down the road, and saw a man lying down. I could tell instantly that he was dead. In the meantime the ambulance had been 'phoned for.”

The sergeant then went with Yeoman to a road in Skyllings Estate, about a quarter of a mile from the scene where a 10 h.p. Austin saloon car was standing. The nearside headlamp was smashed, the wing was dented, and the windscreen on the nearside was smashed.

The road where the accident occurred was 30ft. wide and dry at the time. All the hotel lights were on including a powerful flood light.

Questions about Hotel Flood-light
In reply to the jury, the sergeant said the measurements indicated that the body was carried 66 feet. There were no brake marks in this distance.

When he got to the “White House” at 8.43 it was completely dark, but he agreed that at 8.30 it would not have been completely dark. He agreed with Mr. Peacock that a flood light at the front of the “White House,” on the Thatcham side, illuminated the car-park and threw a patch of light into the road.

Beyond this, on the Newbury side, there is a dark patch accentuated by the flood light? Yes.

And the point of contact would be in that dark patch? Yes.

The sergeant agreed that the brake mark may not have been caused by Mr. Yeoman's car.

Mr. Louch: There is a clear view coming from Thatcham of a good 150 yards?-Yes.

If you had not been prompted about this variation in light and shade would it have occurred to you? - I don't think I should have taken particular notice of it.

An Eye-Witness' Account
Arthur Leslie Cleeves, a baker's roundsman, of 2 Charlton Cottages, St Mary's-road, who was driving a car along the Bath-road, said that when he was within 30 feet of the 30 m.p.h. post on the Newbury side he saw a car coming from Thatcham. “At the same time I saw a man crossing the road from the footpath opposite the “White House,” said Cleeves. “When about two yards from the kerb the car struck him. He was carried on the bonnet of the car and then I passed and stopped further down the road. I ran back to the White House and summoned the police and the ambulance. The body was lying at the side of the road and the car had gone on. I could not say definitely where it had gone as it was dark.

“No Headlights,” says Witness
“The car was travelling at28 to 30 m.p.h. and appeared to be slowing down, though I heard no sound of braking or skidding.”

The street light was dim and the floodlight was the only light outside the White House.

Witness agreed that he was about fifty yards away when Mr. Randall was struck down.

Mr. Peacock: Mr.Yeoman appeared to be driving in a perfectly normal and proper manner?- Yes.

Mr. Louch: Did you notice whether his car had the headlights on? - It had no headlights. I took particular notice of that.

In reply to the foreman, Cleeves said that he himself only had his side-lights shining.

Mr. Peacock: I omitted to put to you that question as I took it for granted that the witness, having seen something occur 51 yards away must have had his headlights on.

Stopped Under Railway Bridge
John Telfer, a gardener, of Millwaters Cottage, London-road, who was walking from the “White House” towards Newbury, said he saw Mr. Randall get off the bus, and later, when he had walked as far as the railway bridge he noticed a car pull up suddenly and remain Stationary.

P.C. Axton said when he arrived on the scene he was told that the car had gone on towards Newbury, and he set off on his bicycle with the intention of searching the garages in the town. Eventually he found the car standing unattended in a road at Skyllings. The lights were out. He searched for the driver and found him standing on the corner of Skyllings, and they together went back to the “White House.”

The distance from the point of impact to the railway arch was 200 yards.

Car-driver Says Headlights Were On
Yeoman, giving evidence, confirmed the statement he made to the Police. The Coroner pointed out that there was some conflict between this statement and the evidence given by Cleeves regarding the lights?

Yeoman replied emphatically “I am positive my headlights were full on. After the smash, the lights both failed.

Did you know you were approaching the 30 m.p.h. limit? - Yes, I saw it with my headlights.

“The first thing I realised was that something hit the car. This obstruction was apparently caught up in the front bumper and went over the left side of the bonnet, striking the windscreen.

The Foreman: What do you estimate your speed coming towards Newbury? 35 m.p.h.

Unfortunate Ending to Holiday
Are your brakes in good order? – I had just returned from a fortnight's holiday in Denmark and during that time the car was completely overhauled and the brakes were in perfectly good condition.

Mr. Peacock: The accident occurred on his way home from London. A most unfortunate ending to his holiday.

Witness said he left London at 6.10 p.m., and he considered his driving was perfectly normal.

Questioned about the lights, he said that seeing another car approaching he might automatically dim his headlights, putting the offside one out and switching the other one on to the ground. He was considerably shaken by the accident and did not stop immediately. Broken glass was flying all round him. After the accident, realising he could do nothing, he went back to his car and, with help pushed it off the main road. He was so upset he spent the time until he was seen by P, C, Axton walking between the “White House” and his car.

He noticed only Mr. Cleeves' car in the road. He had been driving seven years and was a teetotaller.

The Jury's rider
Summing up the Coroner said it was quite obvious that the car driver did not see Mr. Randall. It might be a matter for the Police later on, but he did not think that the jury could say the driver was guilty of criminal negligence.

After a brief consultation, the jury returned a verdict of” Accidental Death,” and exonerated the driver from blame, adding “We thank him for his clear and concise evidence.” The jury added the rider suggesting that if possible the black patch on the Newbury side of the “White House” should be eliminated.

The foreman (Mr. W.H. Franks) expressed the jury's sympathy with the widow and sons of Mr. Randall, and his remarks were endorsed by Mr. Peacock on behalf of Mr. Yeoman.

Article source:    Newbury Weekly News
Date of source:    19 September 1935
Copyright:    © Newbury Weekly News



The tragic death of Mr. Tom Randall removes one of the best-known cattle dealers in the south of England. A native of Stockcross, at the age of 20 he set up in business as a retail butcher in the premises in the Broadway now occupied by Mr. Willcock. An older generation of Newbury people will remember the fine show he put on at his shop at Christmas, for it was his custom to exhibit a prime live beast in the window. He took a pride in his trade, and used to carry off many prizes at various shows in the district, particularly at the old Horse shows in Victoria Park in the class for tradesmen's turn-outs. Some years later he removed his business to the shop in Bartholomew-street now occupied by Messrs. Hann and sons.

After the War, with his three sons he established the firm of T. Randall and Sons, which has developed into one of the biggest wholesale meat businesses in the country, supplying large quantities to Smithfield Market and the West End. Mr. Randall himself attended all the principal markets and was one of the best-known buyers of fat cattle. He also specialised in ram lambs, and only last week he attended Hereford and Shrewsbury Fairs, where he sold a large number of pedigree Hampshire Downs. But for his untimely death, he would have been at Worcester and Derby this week.

Tom Randall was known to everybody in the town, and his cheery, genial personality earned him a host of friends. He was a familiar figure and was never without a button-hole.

Mr.Randall leaves a widow and three sons, for whom the greatest sympathy is felt.

The large attendance at the funeral, which took place yesterday (Wednesday), testified to the esteem in which Mr. Randall was held. A service at St. Mary's Church was conducted by the Rev. W. J. Holloway, the interment being in the Newtown-road Cemetery. The hymn “Jesu, lover of my soul” and “Abide with me” were sung.

The mourners were Mrs. T. Randall (widow). Mr. T.J.R. Randall (son), Mr. and Mrs. H.R. Randall, Mr. and Mrs. J.L. Randall (sons and daughters-in-law), Mrs. Collier and Mrs Green (sisters), and Mrs. Bolton.

[There follows a very long list of members of staff, others attendant at the church, and the large number of wreaths]

This obituary entry is awaiting verification.

Biographies & History

Related Links



*The FNRC believe that the certificates published on this page have been added in compliance with the rules laid down by the General Register Office (GRO).Click here for more information.
If you believe that we may have inadvertently breached the privacy of a living person by publishing any document, pleasecontact usso we can immediately remove the certificate and investigate further.
Thank you

Website designed and maintained by Paul Thompson on behalf of the Friends of Newtown Road Cemetery.

Administrator Login