Personal information about Macfarlan Davies

Below is all the information we have about Macfarlan Davies. As far as we know, the information is correct. However, if you find any errors or have additional information, certificates or pictures, please contact us so that we can update this page. Thank you.

Burial Information

Name on burial register:
   Macfarlan Davies
Burial register image
Click image to enlarge
Age at death:
Date of burial:
   09 July 1934
Abode at death:
(according to burial register)
   4 Buckingham Road, Newbury
Burial register information:
Book number: 1917
Page number: 181
Record number: 11044
Official at burial:
   A.J. Stanton
Source of information:
  Burial Register

Memorial Details

  Macfarlan Davies
  06 July 1934
  Headstone and 4 kerbstones
  Rough/ polished grey granite with inlaid letters
  From top of headstone: In Loving Memory of Macfarlan Davies/ born Sept. 18th 1855/ died July 6th1934./ "He served God in his Day and Generation"/ Also of his beloved wife/ Sarah Eliza Davies/ born April 26th 1853, died Dec.28th 1935/"Loving and dearly loved/ wife and mother".
  Good. Some subsidence
  01 September 2014
Click here for more information on this memorial.

Other people list on this memorial

Sarah Eliza Davies



Obituaries and Newspaper announcements

McFarlan Davies
Article source:    Newbury Weekly News
Date of source:    12 July 1934
Copyright:    © Newbury Weekly News



MacFarlan Davies

Death of Mr. MacFarlan Davies


Devoted Service to Baptist Church and Town



We regret to record the death of Mr MacFarlan Davies, which occurred at his residence “St. Osyth”, Buckingham Road, Newbury on Saturday.

Mr. Davies, who was 78 years of age, was taken suddenly ill on September 30th, 1932, since when he had been almost entirely confined to his home, suffering great pain. He lapsed into unconsciousness last week, and his passing was peaceful. Deep sympathy will be felt for Mrs. Davies and the son and daughter, Mr. C.J. Davies and Miss Margaret Davies.

Mr. MacFarlan Davies was born at 63, Northbrook-street, Newbury, the second son of the late Mr. James Jeremiah Davies, the founder of the china and glass business of Messrs. J.J. Davies and Sons. He went to Mr. Langleys’s school at Hungerford, and afterwards to Albion House School, Newbury. Apprenticed at Enfield Lock, he spent his early married life at Swindon, returning to Newbury in 1902 as partner in the family business, of which he was the senior director at the time of his death.

At Swindon he identified himself with the Baptist Tabernacle, where he was secretary of the Sunday School and trustee of the church. As traveller for the firm of Philip Haw Mason he had many adventures on the lonely Berkshire and Wiltshire Downs, especially during the severe snowstorms of the winter of 1880-1881.

After his return to Newbury, he served the Northbrook-street Baptist Church, as leader of a large Young Men’s Bible Class, as choirmaster, as missionary secretary and treasurer, and as deacon. For thirty years, as church secretary, he took a prominent place in all the church activities under the pastorates of Rev. G.J. Knight, Rev. C.V. Pike and Rev. W. Charles Johnson. He lived to welcome the newly-appointed minister, Rev. A.G. Stanton, though prevented by ill health from attending the services. He took great pride in the old church records, loving to trace out the history of the church in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.

For some years he was a representative on the Newbury Free Church Council, which he served as president in his turn. He was a member of the committee of the Berks Baptist Association, visiting all the churches of the council during his two years of presidency. As a member of the Baptist Union, he was closely in touch with many of the ministers, missionaries and laymen of the whole denominations.

His interests were by no means confined to church work. In 1914 he was chosen chairman of the Belgian Refugees Relief Committee, which housed and maintained in Newbury some hundred families of Belgian war refugees. The minute and account books preserved at the Free Library give some idea of the magnitude of the task, but do not show the personal kindliness by which he won the hearts of these unfortunate victims of the war. As recently as last Christmas he received letters from Belgians recalling with warm appreciation the treatment accorded them during their stay in Newbury.

As a member of the Newbury Town Council his chief interests lay in the Education Committee and in the Housing Committee of which he was chairman during the early post-war period, when the need of houses was so urgent. He would often recount with pride the visits of the 103 deputations which came to inspect St. George’s-avenue estate. His interest in education was recognised when he was chosen by the Corporation as their representative Governor of the Grammar School.

His tenure of office as a member of the Board of Guardians was a labour of love. He visited the house nearly every Sunday, talking to the inmates and sometimes being inveigled into singing to them.

He was assiduous in his duties as Magistrate, and although ill-health had prevented his attendance on the Bench for some time his interest never diminished, and when very near the end he wished to be associated with the farewell presentation to the retiring Clerk to the Justices, Mr. W.H. Pettifer.

His contemporaries will recall his great love of music and his long membership of the Newbury Choral Society under the late J. S. Liddle. An occasional promenade at Queen’s Hall or at the Bournemouth Winter Gardens would fill him with joy, while one of the delights of his retirement was to listen to the broadcasting of his favourite classics.

Mr. and Mrs Davies celebrated their golden wedding nearly four years ago. Two great sorrows they had shared together, the death of their younger son, Edgar, in 1917 on military service, and the death of their grandson, Derek, in 1926, but otherwise their married life was exceptionally happy. They found their pleasures together in home and garden, and in their seaside and moor land holidays, and above all in the love of their family, relatives and friends.



The funeral took place at the Newbury Baptist on Monday afternoon, the service being taken by the Rev. W. Chas. Johnson, former minister, assisted by the Rev. A. G. Stanton, pastor, who read the lesson. The hymns were “”God of the living” and “For all the saints”. Mr. P. J. Scruton was at the organ and played” I know that my Redeemer liveth”. (Handel) ”O for the wings of a dove” (Mendelssohn) and “O rest in the Lord” (Mendelssohn) as the congregation were assembling, and the Dead March in ”Saul” as the coffin was borne from the church.

The Rev.W. Chas. Johnson, in a tribute to Mr. MacFarlan Davies’ life and character, spoke of the great devotion and work for his church for so many years, his unselfish useful public service, his consideration for his employees in business, and the hospitality of his home.

The family mourners were Mr. and Mrs. C. J. Davies (son and daughter-in-law), Miss Margaret Davies (daughter, Mr. W. J. Davies (brother), Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Bentley (brother-in-law and sister), Mrs A. P. Davies (nephew) and Mr. T. S. Waite. Another brother, Mr. H. Davies is at Sydney, Australia.

There follows a very long list of attendees including the mayor (Cllr R. F. Jeffrey) and members of staff.

The interment was in the Newtown Road Cemetery, and there were no flowers by request. The funeral arrangements were carried out by A. J. Chivers, Newbury.




This obituary entry is awaiting verification.

Biographies & History

No documents available at this time.

Related Links



*The FNRC believe that the certificates published on this page have been added in compliance with the rules laid down by the General Register Office (GRO).Click here for more information.
If you believe that we may have inadvertently breached the privacy of a living person by publishing any document, pleasecontact usso we can immediately remove the certificate and investigate further.
Thank you

Website designed and maintained by Paul Thompson on behalf of the Friends of Newtown Road Cemetery.

Administrator Login