John Packer

Date published: 20/08/2018
© From “A History of Craft Masonry in Newbury 1815-1985” by W.Bro. W. J Barber

Click to enlarge

©From “A History of Craft Masonry in Newbury 1815-1985” by W.Bro. W. J Barber


John Packer was the husband of Susannah Packer.  She was the first consecrated burial in 1850.  Occupation a watchmaker in Northbrook Street


A Petition of 1815 to create The Royal Sussex1 Lodge No. 672 in Newbury was submitted, the first on the list being

JOHN PACKER, Mealman, aged 35, of Newbury:

Member of Lodge of Virtue No. 1472 of Reading.

Worshipful Master-Elect.”


Although there is no evidence that a warrant was issued, meetings were held at the King’s Arms in the Market Place in 1816, 17, & 18 and candidates initiated; and in 1819 the last-known record shows one more at the Globe Inn, Bridge Street. But no returns to Grand Lodge were submitted, and eventually the lodge was erased on 5th March 1828.


However, the same John Packer was responsible for reviving Freemasonry in Newbury and he became the first master of the Loyal Berkshire Lodge of Hope, then No. 839, in March 1850 at The White Hart Tavern in the Market Place.

1Presumably named after The Grand Master, HRH The Duke of Sussex who had been installed as such on 2 May, 1814.

2Erased 1827

Sources:as above

Website designed and maintained by Paul Thompson on behalf of the Friends of Newtown Road Cemetery.

Administrator Login