Reverend William Wilson

Author:
Date published: 06/07/2012
©

Rev William Wilson

 

The first person to be buried in Newbury Cemetery in 1850 and one of its strongest supporters during its development. His gravestone is against the west wall directly in line with the cemetery lodge. His epitaph runs:

 

“O place of graves, the first-loved form receive,

That weeping friends within thy precincts leave,

No holier dust shall ever mingle here,

Than he who earliest claims the mourner’s tear.

Long o’er his tomb shall drooping Pity bend,

And mourn the brother, pastor, guide, and friend;

Mourn for the wit, the wisdom, and the worth,

Which rest with him beneath this bed of earth;

Rich in gifts and genius – richer still

In Christian graces, guiding all his will;

Of mind serene – a temper kind and mild.

In peace he lived, and peace he found in death,

For hope and faith inspired his parting breath.

But not confined to this sepulchral sod,

His spirit springs to meet his father – God,

For him a crown, a wreath immortal blooms,

And sheds a glory o’er this place of tombs.”

Sources:Epitaph - Newtown Road Cemetery

Website designed and maintained by Paul Thompson on behalf of the Friends of Newtown Road Cemetery.

Administrator Login