Edward Gould

Author:
Date published: 31/10/2014
© Newbury Weekly News

EDWARD GOULD

Alderman and Mrs Edward Gould celebrated their golden wedding on Saturday, when they were on a visit to a daughter and son-in-law at Highcliffe.

The wedding took place on April 30th, 1877 at St Nicholas Parish Church by the then Rector, Rev. J. Leslie Randall. Mrs. Gould was the youngest daughter of the late Mr. John White Hobbs, formerly of Marlborough, and latterly of Thatcham.

They have been associated with the business, civic and social life throughout the half-century, occupying the positions of Mayor and Mayoress in 1898. The alderman, who is in his eighty-eighth year, is the oldest member of the Corporation, and the senior tradesman in the borough. He has a marvellous memory of old Newbury, and can recount the names and occupations of residents long since departed.

He has witnessed the development of the town from a rural community to a busy commercial centre. Alderman Gould was one of the first foundation scholars of the Grammar School, then held in the Litten Chapel, the condition of which is now engaging attention. Newbury friends will extend congratulations to Mr. and Mrs. Gould on their happy anniversary.

Newbury Weekly News 5 May 1927

Born 17 January 1840 Died 8 January 1928

Mrs. P p.61 Ch. 17 (A)

Sources:Newbury Weekly News 5 May 1927 and Mrs Pattison

Website designed and maintained by Paul Thompson on behalf of the Friends of Newtown Road Cemetery.

Administrator Login