Thomas Randall

Author:
Date published: 23/01/2014
©

Thomas Randall

 

Thomas was the 4th child of Thomas and Ellen Randall and was born on the 23rd February 1874 in Woodspeen, Newbury Berks.

When the census was carried out in 1881 the family lived at 5, Furze Hill, Speen, Newbury.

 

Tom married Emily Louise Goodchild and started their married life in Stanley Road.

He was a Cattle Dealer. His butchers shop was 7, The Broadway, Newbury, Berks.

 

Emily was born on the 17th September 1875 at St Mary’s Hill, (she was always known as Louise) Her parents the Goodchilds and grandparents the Abrahams ran the King Charles and started Newbury Mineral Waters.

 

Thomas (Tom) and Emily (Louise) had three sons: -

Thomas John was born in 1898,            

On the 31st August 1899 Henry (Harry)

Their youngest son James Leslie (Lil) on the 20th September 1900.

From the book Newbury A Photographic Record 1850 –1935 on page 58 plates 75, a photograph shows Tom Randall senior with two of his three sons (Harry and Lil) at the Council Abattoir.

At the time of the 1911 census the family were living above their shop at

1, Bartholomew Street, Newbury

 

Later the family moved to 10, West Mills. The building has changed little and in the photograph on page 94 plate143 from the same book shows the three sons with their lorry in front of the building.

 

The family finally moved to 232, London Road Newbury. This was close to the London Road abattoir that they had owned and operated from 1925 until 1966.

 

Tom senior was killed in a motor accident in the London Road on the 14th September 1935, and buried in the old cemetery. His widow died  on December 26th 1944, and was buried with him.

 

The three sons each had two children – Tom a girl Beryl and son Tom, Harry two daughters Pam and Shirley, and James Leslie ‘Lil’ two daughters June and Elizabeth.. Of those Pam, Shirley and Elizabeth still live in Newbury.

 

 

 

 

   

 

Acknowledgement to Sue Hopson for using our family photographs from her book. – Newbury A Photographic Record 1850 – 1935.

 

 

 

 

Sources:

Website designed and maintained by Paul Thompson on behalf of the Friends of Newtown Road Cemetery.

Administrator Login